Friday, October 1, 2010

Does Amazon equal reality?

When my first book came out, I was excited. My wife and I did the happy dance, held the ARC close to our hearts and then gazed at it lovingly. When it was finally released, and we started the "pimpin" process, telling our friends of our new arrival. Of course they were excited, but it wasn't until they found the book on Amazon that they were excited. "Wow, you're really published," several said. When I formed them that you could purchase it on the publisher's website they responded, "okay, but I can buy it on Amazon too, right?" I tried to explain the publishing model and how an author gets more when a person buys directly from the publisher than from Amazon, B&N or any other book selling website, they just couldn't make the connection. Then a friend said, "let 'em buy from Amazon. Your ratings will go up with every purchase." So, hence the Amazon reality.

It was then that I realized that some people equate being on Amazon as "really" being published, similar to how an actor has legitimacy when he/she appears on Leno, Carson or Oprah. It just shows how the world of publishing is evolving.

3 comments:

  1. You know I've found that the Amazon name holds a lot of power. And KINDLE readers are very loyal to their reader and Amazon. It's kind of like Indie or self-published writers. They are not considered "legitimate" authors and I see this all the time on the Amazon threads.

    The good news? All this is changing now while the industry goes through enormous changes. This year, many Indie authors were selected as finalists in several prominent annual awards from Canada and the US. Of course Indie writers are authors and of course you are an "author" whether your book is on Amazon or not. But we need to educate people and try to convince them that old way is not always the right way.

    Great article and interesting topic. Thanks for posting,

    Keta
    http://www.ketadiablo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great perspective Keta. I appreciate you being my "first". ;)

    Isabella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I told someone my books were available on Amazon and from the back of my car. (then I add the many other places as well as local bookstores, but they can't remember all that.)
    People do need educating. A woman (who should know better) asked if I would loan her a copy of my book. ;) I told her never to ask that of an author and never to tell an author a friend loaned her a copy (even it that's the truth).
    I think acting like a professional is the key.
    With so many people self publishing, their friends think books are free.

    ReplyDelete